August 26, 2009

Wax Jackets


I can't help but notice the sudden rise in popularity of English style waxed cotton outerwear in the blogosphere of late. Brands like Barbour certainly merit the attention. Very solid outerwear and a staple for any wardrobe. Maybe it's my English roots that attracts me like a magnet to these pieces.

I only bring this up because I was recently in Argentina, where these waxed cotton jackets seem to be the norm. Almost like they've clued in to this sense of style for years! Never before in my life have I seen so many classic European and English menswear stores. There must have been almost 1 on every block. There is a very strong equine and rural society in Argentina so a lot of their fashion is a derivative of polo culture and agriculture. We're talking tweeds, corduroy, herringbone, leather, cashmere and other fine materials. Just image hunting jackets with elbow patches, Oxford/Barbour waxed cotton coats, leather loafers and corduroy or wool slacks. It may sound stuffy, but for some reason, the Argentinians seem to pull it off.

1 comment:

pennylane said...

okay where can i buy a the wax jacket